Monday, August 4, 2008

Things I learned in 3 days on my Buell 1125R

A total of 5 of us took a couple days vacation to ride on the Eastern side of the Cascades. These are the things that I learned 1131 miles later.

  1. When riders are equal in skills, the 1125R is faster than a 2007 GSXR 1000. I beat my buddy (who I NORMALLY can't keep up with) in a 2 mile "drag", a 10 mile circuit, and every other way we "psuedo raced". Since we always bet (and always the same amount), my trusty 1125R earned me $10 (we ONLY bet $1 per bet). Of course, it cost me $20 in gas - but having his signature on each dollar bill is priceless.
  2. When the entire pack (except for yourself) gets a speeding ticket - you have to buy dinner. Especially when they got the ticket trying to catch up to you.
  3. Women - regardless of age - seem to like a sexy bike. Oh - and the 1125R is sexy. Yet another reason for my friends to hate me.
  4. Bungied luggage (tail bag) doesn't like wheelies. It really doesn't matter if they are 1st gear, 2nd gear, or 3rd gear wheelies. Ok - maybe I am wrong - bungied luggages HATES 3rd gear wheelies.
  5. Stoppies are scary. Especially if you don't know how to do one safely.
  6. Deer in the road near dusk are VERY scary. Time to get off the road when the bambies are wandering about.
  7. At least two of the bed and breakfasts between Winthrop and Lake Chelan, WA have a rule - no motorcycles in the living room.
  8. At least on this trip, birds will crap on a GSXR before a Buell. In a total of 7 stops for food over 3 days, my GSXR buddy got his bike crapped on by birds. The Buell - spotless. Guess birds around here have good taste.
  9. My electrical gremlins seem to be gone. She started each and every time - no worries.
  10. It is a little scary how fast she will get to triple digits.
  11. Saying "Yes Sir, Sheriff" is a good thing.
  12. We all forget to thank our law enforcement officers. This is my thank you to Sheriff X (you know who you are). I probably did deserve a ticket - but you were great about it. It was sorta lame - a 41 in a 35 is a little tough - and I get that you are supposed to ticket people going 5 over - glad you didn't see me outside of town.
  13. Fuel economy varied widely. Of course, over the few days, there were tanks I TOTALLY flogged her. On those - I averaged about 30 MPG or so. On the super slab - totally being a law abiding citizen - I got 41 MPG.
  14. If it at all possible, I love this machine more now than the day I took delivery. It makes me a better rider than I am, delivers more grins per mile than anything I have ever ridden, and has caused my bald spot to grow hair (ok - that last one MIGHT be an exaggeration).

No comments: